Class of 2018 Celebrates Achievements at 88th Annual Commencement Ceremony
On Sunday May 27, 2018, Central Catholic celebrated 209 seniors at the 88th annual commencement exercises, held at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall.
- Forty-two seniors were inducted in the Saint John Baptist de La Salle Chapter of the National Honor Society of Secondary Schools
- Six seniors were named National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalists; five were named Finalists; one senior, Marco DiVito, earned the National Merit Scholarship PWC Charitable Foundation Scholarship, and one senior, Michael Bushnell, earned the National Merit Scholarship
- Seventeen seniors achieved the highest rank attainable in the Boy Scouts of America through earning their Eagle Scout Award
- Five seniors were recognized as AP Scholars, six seniors were recognized as AP Scholars with Honors, and nine seniors were recognized as AP Scholars with Distinction by the College Board for their performance on the Advanced Placement Exams
- Five seniors were named Trib Total Media Outstanding Young Citizen for their contributions inside and outside of the classroom
- One senior, Colin Aikins, was named a Trib Total Media Outstanding Young Citizen Gold Medal for his contributions inside and outside of the classroom
- One senior, Shane Davis, was recognized for his commitment to academics by his receipt of the Crossroads Foundation Most Improved Scholar Award.
- One senior, Brian Freyvogel, was recognized with the Saint Timothy Award for his contributions to youth ministry within the Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Benjamin Kowenhoven competed at both the FBLA Regional and State competitions and won first place for FBLA Interview Skills at both levels. John Eakin won tenth place for Securities and Investments.
- One senior, Colin Aikins, was recognized with the 2018 National YoungArts Foundation’s YoungArts Award
- Four seniors, Michael Bushnell, Marco DiVito, Warren Sipe & John Wearden, competed with the Forensics Society at the Pa High School Speech League State Tournament and were awarded co-champions with first place finishes in the Cross-X/Policy Debate category.
- Four seniors, Luciano Barrante, Ben Kowenhoven, Liam O'Malley and Jalen Thomas, will move on to service academies after graduation. Jalen and Liam will attend West Point. Ben will move on to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and Luciano will enter the United States Naval Academy.
- Four seniors, Michael Gemperle, Sean Hazlett, Declan Moffatt and Dan Schearer, received ROTC Scholarships. Michael and Sean received Air Force ROTC scholarships and Dan and Declan received Army ROTC Scholarships.