The Brother David S. Baginski, FSC Scholars Program
The Brother David S. Baginski, FSC Scholars Program prepares students for advanced studies at the university level through a liberal arts curriculum that is interdisciplinary and multi-faceted. Students work closely with their advisors, teachers and peers on exploring the humanities and understanding their intersection with science and technology through issue-oriented investigations.
Having shown an interest in the liberal arts, students apply to the program in the spring of their sophomore year through a rigorous and competitive process. Once admitted, students enroll in a humanities seminar in their junior year to engage in critical inquiry and social justice perspectives. In their senior year, they write, defend and present a college-level, research-based thesis. Students in the program also participate in a multitude of enrichment activities offered by the Scholars Forum, go on study trips, and are encouraged find an intrinsic connection between their intellectual development and their responsibility as global citizens through community-focused service projects.
Many of our Scholars, upon graduation from Central Catholic, go on to a number of the nation’s top research universities and liberal arts colleges. The requirements of this program are in addition to a standard Honors/AP curriculum making it an enriching and rigorous addition to each student’s course load.
Who May Apply
Admission to the program is a competitive process. To be eligible students should:
- be in their sophomore year
- have taken a minimum of 3 Advanced Placement (AP) or Honors courses. One of these must be a writing-intensive course.
- demonstrate an ability to work at a minimum GPA level of 3.5
- demonstrate academic competence and excellence by performing in the top percentage of the applicant pool
- show promising interest in social causes, community service and interdisciplinary work
- commit to 3 years or more of foreign language study
For More Information, contact the Program Directors
- Mr. John J. Allen - email@example.com
- Dr. Patrizia Costa Frezza - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 412.208.3449